Tuesday, July 9, 2013

On Zumba, Gyms and Varying Exercise Routines

Hello again everybody! Sorry for the lack of posts recently, I promise I'll get back on a regular schedule as soon as possible.

Now, if you're like me, exercising can be confusing, difficult, and even frustrating trying to figure out what types of things to do. Add on the knowledge that doing the same routine over and over can lead to the body getting used to the routine, thereby making it less effective, and it can all seem overwhelming. It leaves a girl questioning: "What can I do?"




Recently, I found myself asking that question. And, I think I'm starting to figure out my own routine. I found a free 1-week pass to a gym near where I live, and I took advantage of it. During my free trial, I went to two Zumba classes, and tried a variety of the gym equipment there.

Zumba, for those who don't know, is a dance-based exercise class that uses elements from Latin dances, hip hop, belly dancing, and really a wide variety of dance styles. It's a fantastic  work out, and I find it to be pretty fun too.

My first Zumba class was a little confusing. I didn't quite know what all of the steps were supposed to be some of the time, but the instructor did her best to make everything easy to follow. The second class was with a different instructor, so she had different routines and different moves, but she was perhaps even easier to follow.

At the end of my second Zumba class, the instructor made an important reminder. She told us to make sure we were doing multiple forms of exercise, and not just Zumba. Because the body gets used to an exercise routine pretty quick, and then it becomes infinitely less effective. So it's important to vary the routine, so that doesn't happen.

I definitely want to keep trying Zumba classes, because they're fun, and they're a good work out. Zumba may not be your thing, but I've come up with some helpful hints to figure out your own fun, effective exercise routine (based on experience):

1. Find something you at least partially enjoy. Not all exercise is super fun and exciting, but you should at least be able to enjoy yourself a bit while you're exercising. The gym I go to has personal tv screens on each of their cardio machines, which makes the otherwise boring elliptical at least a little more entertaining. But, on a slightly larger level than that, your exercise routine has to interest you. Don't go for a run every evening because you feel like you should-go for a run because you like running. If you don't like what you're doing, you'll find every excuse you can not to go exercise.

2. If you're planning to go to a gym, scope out the gym before hand. You need to make sure any gym you go to is a good fit for you. If something feels off or uncomfortable, you probably shouldn't be giving them your money. A fair amount of gyms offer free 1-week passes so you can get a feel for the place before deciding whether or not to join. Take advantage of that. For a few years, I was going to the gym at my college. It was free, but there was something about the atmosphere there that I just didn't like. More often than not, I went because I felt like I had to, not because I wanted to. Needless to say, that wasn't very effective. The gym I go to now is a much better fit for me.

3. Keep a budget in mind. No one likes talking about money, but, it is an important factor. You need to make sure that your finances will allow you to afford the exercise routine you plan for yourself. Gym memberships can be expensive, and might not be in your budget. Lots of places sell relatively cheap work out dvds, hand weights, mats. You can even find a lot of fitness videos on Youtube for the wonderful price of Free. So figure out your finances and keep them in mind when planning your exercise routine.

Hopefully I've been helpful. If you have any other tips I'd love to hear them in the comments section.

Until next time,

Punk Rock Pikachu

No comments:

Post a Comment