Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Hazards of Finding Exercise Wear

Recently, I've been trying to find exercise clothes. I didn't realize, going into it, how difficult it was going to be. Specifically, I was looking for a sports' bra. I'm slightly larger chested, so I do have a hard time finding bras sometimes. Finding a sports' bra, however, proved to be almost next to impossible. After several stores, lots of trying things on, and lots of frustration, I finally found some that work. I actually found a lower impact sports' bra, and a higher impact sports' bra. So, my article today is going to talk about the places that I found the sports' bras, and some recommendations of places to look, based on what you might be looking for.




First of all, I apologize to all of my male readers; I know this isn't entirely a topic you can relate to. But, any female who has some of the problems I have finding bras, I hope this articles helps you just a little bit.

Okay. Sports bras. They're incredibly useful, because exercising in a regular bra can be pretty uncomfortable. Luckily, lingerie companies decided to make bras to help keep boobs from bouncing all over the place. So, here you go: Punk Rock Pikachu's tips to finding a sports bra.

Step 1: Know Your Bra Size. An unfortunately high percentage of women are walking around with the wrong bra size. It happens. But, when shopping for a bra, making sure you have the right size and the right fit is essential. So, really quickly, here's an overview of how to get your bra size. Take a tape measure, and measure yourself right under your bust. That's your band size. If you come up as an even number (32, 36, 40....) use that band size. If you have an odd number (31, 35, 43) you can try either the size above or below, though it's generally better to round down, as bras stretch. To get your band size, make sure you're wearing a bra (not a minimizer) and measure around the largest part of your boobs. Take that number and subtract the band size from it. (For example, if you get 43 around the boobs and a 32 band, the difference would be 7). The difference, then, helps you get your cup size. Each inch difference is a cup size increase, starting with A. (In that example, the size would be around a 32 G).

Step 2: What type of sports' bra do you want? There are different types of sports' bras, based on the level of activity you're going to be doing. Lower impact sports bras tend to be good for things like yoga or pilates, whereas running or tennis would require more of a higher impact sports' bra. There are also sports' bras with underwire and without wires. There are a lot of similarities between sports' bras and bathing suit tops actually. Some are sized directly to bra sizes, while others are done in the standard S, M, L, sizes. Further, you can decide whether you want a racerback sports' bra, or a regular back. It's important to know what type of bra you want before you go shopping; it'll make your search a bit easier.

Step 3: Go to the right stores. Now that you know your size, and what type of bra you want, you should venture to the right type of store. I highly recommend stores that have a large section of bras. Department stores like Macy's and Dillards have excellent selections of bras and sports bras. They can be on the pricey side, but, they'll be more likely to last you a long time. And if you're like me, and have a larger chest size, you'll be most likely to find something that fits you there. I also highly recommend the specialized outlet stores. I got my wired sports' bras at my local Bali outlet. Bali and their brand Champion, had some great sports' bras. But I definitely got very lucky finding something that fit. My unwired, lower impact bra, I ultimately got from Dick's Sporting Goods. That was also a super lucky find, though I was impressed with the selection that they had. Though, if you're looking for a wired bra, I found almost none at Dick's.

Step 4: Try BEFORE You Buy. I cannot stress how important it is to try on a bra of any kind before you buy it. A sports' bra is no exception. Proper fit is vital to getting the right support. If you're wearing a sports' bra with underwire, the wire should should lie flat against your sternum. I also like to do what I call the 'bounce' test with my sports' bras. When I have the bra on, I bounce up and down a bit, to test how much support I'm getting. I also don't like having to go return things, so I find it much easier to just try on the bra at the store.

Well, there you have it. My 4 steps to help you find a sports' bra. Hopefully my tips have been useful. If you have any other tips or recommendations, feel free to mention them in the comments!

Until next time,

Punk Rock Pikachu

No comments:

Post a Comment