Monday, May 6, 2013

Diary Reboot: A lesson in Goal Setting

Hello again, everybody!

I know it's been awhile since my last post, and I apologize for that. Life's been crazy with various things happening, and I didn't have as much time as I wanted to for updating. I did stick with my diet and exercise routines, as much as I could in the craziness that's been my life the past few months. I'm proud to say that I've lost 23 pounds so far. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty proud of myself.




One thing I've learned is that it's easier to achieve a goal when you set a series of small goals. If your goal is too large from the get go, you might get set back easily, and lose the motivation to reach it. So, break it down into more achievable smaller goals, that you can reach more easily. With each mini-goal you achieve you have that much more motivation to reach the next one. Before you know it, you've reached your final goal!

So, in my case, I'm using that logic to set goals. My end goal is to lose 80 pounds by the end of the year. That's the total amount of weight I want to lose. I'm breaking that down into a series of smaller goals. My first small goal was to lose 20 pounds by April. Well, I made that goal happen. My next goal is to lose another 20 pounds by the end of July. I'm going to reach that by continuing my dieting (which is really just more of healthy eating) and exercising at least a little bit every day. My plan is to do some strength exercises for at least 5 minutes every day, even if it's just doing 3 sets of leg lifts before I go to bed, and doing cardio exercise around 3 times a week at least.

But I'm actually breaking down my 20 pound goal even further. The first step of that is that I want to lose at least 5 pounds by the end of May. Then around another 5-7 in June. Then the final bit in July. By making smaller goals, my intimidating goal of 80 pounds is that much easier to conquer. I'm looking forward to reaching my final goal at the end of the year, and I'm keeping myself motivated to get there with a whole bunch of little goals along the way.

I'm also rewarding myself a bit when I reach mini goals. For example, my reward for reaching my summer goal will be spending money on new clothes, mostly because, by then I'll have lost so much weight that my current clothes will most likely be too big. But it also motivates me and serves as a reward because I do enjoy shopping for new clothes. And I'll enjoy it that much more when it's my reward for the hard work I've put into my weight loss.


Well, that's all for now. Stay tuned for next time, I'm going to talk about....well, I'm not sure yet, but it'll be well worth it!

As always,
Punk Rock Pikachu.

No comments:

Post a Comment