Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mental Struggles with Weight Loss

Hey guys,

Punk Rock Pikachu here again, with an important message. At least, I think it's important. You may not. But you should. And here's why. 

Whenever we get focused on weight loss, we automatically jump to diet and exercise. While those are major parts of losing weight, they're not the full story. Your state of mind and mental health is just as vital to the weight loss process. I've learned some things the hard way, so I thought I'd share them with you. 



1. Ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?" It's great that you want to lose weight, but you need to make sure you're doing it for yourself, and not for anyone else. I personally am trying to lose weight because I want to be healthier. And I want to feel a little better about myself. I've struggled with self-esteem issues for most of my life, and while I may not look like I weigh as much as I do, I still look at myself in the mirror and feel like 'a fat, ugly, cow.' We all have those moments, when we're insecure about ourselves. But the key is to make sure we have a solid, strong reason for wanting to lose weight, and that we keep that in mind as we go along. It'll help us stay focused and on track. 

2. Set reasonable goals. An important part of weight loss is being reasonable about it. Wanting to lose 70 pounds is a perfectly acceptable goal, just give yourself the right time frame. When my mom was doing Weight Watchers, they stressed how important it was to make sure you lose weight at a healthy rate, of about 1-3 pounds a week. Losing more than that is dangerous for your body, and can also lead to possible regaining of the weight later. So while you may want to lose weight as fast as you can, remember that you're doing this to be healthy, so staying healthy is key. 

3. Don't Agonize. Slip ups in your diet or exercise routine will happen, especially when you're first starting out. I know I have trouble sometimes keeping things in moderation, especially when my schedule gets out of whack. But don't beat yourself up for each and every failure. Instead, make a note of what you did wrong, and how you can fix it in the future. 

4. And finally, Don't Overtax Yourself. If you're exercising so much you nearly collapse, or reduce your food intake to the point where you're not eating enough, STOP that. This ties in very heavily with the other things I said, but it does merit its own section. Don't let your weight loss become a huge struggle and don't let it control you. It's your life, and your body, so make whatever adjustments you need to your plan to stay healthy, safe, and mentally sound. 

That's all I had for you today, folks. 

See you next time! 
Punk Rock Pikachu!

No comments:

Post a Comment